Manchester City played their first game at home for the season against a youthful but well-performing Everton team. Everton and City both won their first games of league.
Everton’s Rooney who seems to be back on form scored for his side to put them 1-0 ahead. This goal did not only place Everton at the forefront but it was an achievement for Rooney as he became the second player to score 200 goals in the Premier League.
The 31-year-old celebrated his second goal in two league matches since he rejoined Everton.
Things went from bad to worse for Manchester City with new signing Kyle Walker getting a red card just before half time. He was first booked for a foul on Leighton Baines and shortly thereafter sent off after clashing with Dominic Calvert-Lewin. Walker and City manager Pep Guardiola felt distressed at this decision, expressing their concerns to the fourth official.
But it was clear that City was not going to let Everton beat them easily as Raheem Sterling scored a late equaliser. Things seemed to go City’s way as they dominated with ten men. Everton also concluded with ten men as midfielder Morgan Schneiderlin was shown a second yellow card for catching Sergio Aguero.
The game ended in a draw with City dominating with 65 percent ball possession and 19 chances at goal. Everton only managed 35 percent ball possession and 7 chances at goal. Two goals and two red cards defined a riveting match.
Guardiola refused to discuss the Walker red card after being asked about it and responding with “Next question”.